About Us - Our Mission
The Neighborhood Farm Initiative cultivates a resourceful community of adults and teenagers working together to engage in small-scale food production in the Washington, D.C. area.
NFI aims to improve underutilized public green spaces by creating demonstration gardens for hands-on community-wide gardening education, thereby increasing access to fresh vegetables for all members of our community, regardless of income.
- Serve as an educational resource on small scale organic food production for DC-area residents
- Increase access to nutritious fresh vegetables for underserved neighborhoods and communities
- Increase the number of organic gardeners in Washington, D.C., leading to more outdoor activities and healthier lifestyles
- Build capacity and skills of youth and adults seeking work in urban food production
- Promote connections and foster relationships between and among individuals, garden communities, and land-use agencies
- Improve unused or under-utilized public green space in Washington, D.C., preserving and protecting undeveloped land